8th November 2018
Dear Parents and Carers
Welcome to the second half of the Autumn term. This is always an exciting half term in primary schools as there are lots of Christmas events planned. Check our diary dates for specific Christmas events.
Bug Busting Week – THIS WEEK!
Please find attached a leaflet which is about the prevention and treatment of head lice. We have a big problem with head lice in school at the moment, with lots of families complaining about them. With this in mind, please check your family’s hair and treat if necessary THIS WEEK. If we all see this week as our bug busting week, then we might stand a chance of getting rid of them. Unfortunately, it only takes one family to not do this and we are back to square one. There are some special combs available for free from the office – most treatments come with a comb.
Year 1 / 2 class
We are delighted to welcome Mrs. Nash to our Y1/2 classroom. Mrs Nash is doing supply for 4 weeks until Friday 24th November. The remaining 3 weeks of term will be covered by Mrs Palmer. Both teachers are regular supply teachers in school, and familiar faces to the children.
Whilst Mrs Calvert is away, Mrs Stanton and the class are keeping in touch via email, and finding out lots of interesting facts about India in the process. This is in addition to their class topic on old and new toys, following the Year 1 and 2 National Curriculum objectives.
Children with mobile ’phones in the playground
Some children bring their phones to school as they are walking to and from school without their parents. We are very understanding of this and provide a secure place in the office for these to be stored during the school day.
We are aware, however, that some children have been using their ‘phones to take selfies and photos of other children in the playground before and after school. This is causing distress to some children and their parents. Please note that children are not allowed to use their mobile phones on school grounds. Any child caught using their phone on school grounds will have their phone confiscated, and their parent or carer will be required to collect it at the end of the school day.
New Mills AFC Car Park
Please see the attached letter from New Mills AFC about parking restrictions.
The application process for the 2018/19 reception intake opens on 13 November 2017.
The leaflet ‘Applying for your child’s infant/primary school place 2018 -19’ summarises the application process. A supply of the leaflets will be sent to you week commencing 6 November 2017 and I should be pleased if you will make them available to the parents of children born between 1 September 2013 and 31 August 2014 who are eligible to start school during the 2018/19 academic year. Please do not distribute the leaflets to parents until 13 November 2017 as the application facilities do not open until this date. Further supplies of the leaflet can be obtained by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by ringing 01629 537499.
On SchoolsNet you will find a copy of the Admissions Timescale 2018/19 which I hope you will find helpful.
You can view the following information online at www.derbyshire.gov.uk/admissions
- Applying for your child’s infant/primary school place 2018-19 – a summary
- How to apply for a place at Primary School – a guide for parentsOur online application facility at www.derbyshire.gov.uk/admissions will be available from 9am on 13 November 2017. For those parents without access to the internet they can apply by phone by ringing Call Derbyshire on 01629 533190.Full information on the application process is included in How to apply for a place at Primary School – a guide for parents at www.derbyshire.gov.uk/admissions. Parents requesting a hard copy of this guide should be referred to the Admissions and Transport Team, details as above. Whitehall Please note that there are still places available for Year 5 and 6 pupils for Whitehall 2018. If these places aren’t filled by Y5 and 6 by Friday 24th November we will offer them to Year 4 pupils.Operation Christmas Child – Shoe Box Appeal The boxes will be collected on Monday 20th November. There will be a non-uniform day this Friday 10th November and children are encouraged to bring items in to put in the boxes or, if you would like to, bring in a completed box, wrapped and with a (suggested) donation of £5.00 to cover project costs – including shipping.Please pick up children from their normal doors, then come round to the front of school to enter the Christmas Fair through the bottom red door. (This is the door we also use for Breakfast Club and School discos). Parents will not be allowed into school until all the children have been dismissed, so that we can make sure the children are safely with their parents/carers.Friday 17.11.17 bring chocolate for the Chocolate Tombola Friday 1st December bring cakes for the cake stall (cake boxes to follow)All are welcome and 15% of all sales will go towards our new school library. Bring friends and family.With thanks for your continued support.NovemberFriday 10th – Non-uniform day for the Christmas Shoebox Appeal
- Monday 13th – Start of School Meals Week
- Wednesday 8th – Full Governing Body meeting 7.00 pm
- Diary Dates
- Christmas Jumper Day and Christmas Dinner Day This is on Wednesday 13th December and children are encouraged to wear a Christmas jumper or T-shirt. If your child usually brings a packed lunch, you might want to put an extra Christmas treat in their box on this day.
- Sip and Shop Evening You are invited to our St. George’s Christmas shopping evening – with wine and soft drinks on Friday 8th December – 7pm until 9pm at Itsy Bitsy Boutique, Market Street, Chapel.
- Friday 24.11.17 bring bottles for the Bottle Tombola (please hand glass bottles to staff or a PTA member)
- So that we can gather items to sell at the Christmas Fair, we are holding non-uniform days where children bring items into school in exchange for coming in non-uniform. The days are all Fridays as follows:
- Christmas Fair This will be held on Friday 1st December in school from 3.20 until 5.30.
- School Catering Events Look out for posters advertising our Bake off Competition (on 15.11.17), as part of School Meals Week 13.11.17 to 17.11.17 All children are encouraged to enter.
- Parents of pupils with special educational needs are advised that the admission of their child is dealt with by the SEND Administration Team and they should continue to liaise with their caseworker.
- It would be appreciated if you would publicise these facilities at your open evenings and if possible consider offering parents the use of your computers to enable them to access the online services. If for some reason they are unable to make an application either online or by telephone they should ring the Admissions and Transport Team on 01629 537479.
9.30 – 10.30 Anti-Bullying production
Wednesday 15th – – Decorate a cake (or design a cake on paper) competition
Friday 17th – Non-uniform day – Chocolate
Tuesday 21st – New Mills Book Chat group in school 7 pm
Wednesday 22nd – Reception children height and weight check
Friday 24th – Non-uniform day – bottles
Saturday 25th – New Mills Christmas lights switch on
Friday 1st – Non-uniform day – cakes
- Christmas Fair 3.20 – 5.30
Monday 4th – Key Stage 1 Christmas Play dress rehearsal
Tuesday 5th – Key Stage 1 Christmas Play for parents 9.30 am and 6 pm
Friday 8th – Sip and Shop evening 7 – 9 pm at Itsy Bitsy Boutique
Monday 11th – Christingle Day 2.30 pm Christingle Service in church – all welcome
Wednesday 13th – Christmas jumper day and Christmas dinner day
Thursday 14th – am EYFS Christmas party *
pm Y1.2 Christmas party *
PTA Christmas disco
Friday 15th – pm Y3/4 Christmas party *
Monday 18th – pm Y5/6 Christmas party *
*Please note for all Christmas parties from Year 1 upwards, children need to come to school in school uniform and then get changed into their party clothes.
Thursday 19th – 9.30 am Nursery group Christmas Nativity in church – all welcome
Break up for Christmas holidays at normal time.